Travelling with your CPAP machine
Whether it’s for a long-needed vacation or a work trip, travelling can be tiresome – especially without your CPAP therapy providing a good night’s sleep. It’s important to continue your therapy on vacation. Keep reading for helpful tips and tools on packing and travelling with your CPAP therapy. Bon voyage!
Preparing for a holiday
Whether you’re camping, going on a road trip, or travelling overseas, this short video will give you useful information about transporting and using your machine while you’re away.
CPAP Travel tips
What to know before you go?
Take a note of useful information
- A doctor’s letter to certify that you need PAP therapy.
- A note of your treatment pressure, mask type and mask size.
- Contact details for your doctor, equipment supplier and care provider.
- Health insurance details, including your policy number and the provider’s contact details.
- ResMed’s FAA Air Travel Compliance Letter, so you’ll be able to carry your device through airport security and on to the plane.
Check you’ll have power
- At least two weeks before you fly, ask the airline for permission to use your device on a flight. If they give permission in writing, remember to take a copy of the letter/email with you.
- If you’ll be travelling overnight on other forms of transport (e.g. train), contact the tour operator or travel company in advance to ask if you’ll be able to plug in your therapy device.
- Check if you’ll need a special power adapter to use your device on a plane or other mode of transport and remember to pack one! ResMed offers converters so you can use your device with a 12V or 24v DC power source in a car, boat or other vehicle with suitable battery. Need one today? Visit our webshop.
- If a suitable power supply won’t be available, consider using a battery pack instead.
Take suitable spares
- Pack a spare mask cushion as you might find it difficult to find a suitable replacement abroad.
- Pack travel wipes to keep your mask and equipment clean while you travel.
Be careful about humidification
- Please DO NOT use a standard humidifier on a plane. Turbulence could cause the water to spill and damage your device. The waterless AirMini HumidX system can be used on planes.
- Make sure there’s no water in your humidification tub before you pack it.